Asus Tinker Board - How's it going?

I’d love to hear about everyone’s experiences on this new board, and the first production release of V2.

Have you had any integration issues with anything? Or is it working great?

+1

Very curious me too!

It is actually quite ok. I do have some problem setting it up initially - as my usual settings is to use static ip and disable wifi. I lose connection to the board altogether and had to flash the img again on my sd card numerous time before it works the way i wanted it. May be a bug in the initally release

Tinker Board produce lots of heat - I was worried about it toasting away as I usually leave in on 24/7 - was advised to change the governor settings which helps cool down the board. With the default setting - tinkerboard is really HOT

The typical config.txt (that I use alot to tweak stuff) in pi3 is not present in Tinkerboard version. Need to figure out where the new config file is.

I use tinker board with an external Dac - DSD256 works well with an avg cpu utiliZation of around 50%. On the pi3 dsd stutter badly - and cpu load is close to 100%

Spotify connect pluggin works . Havent have time to do an a/b with raspberry pi3 or Odroid C2.

This board seems promising as long as Volumio contiinue to support it. So far so good

Thanks Sym,

Really appreciated. Interesting also the confrontation between Asus, Pi3 and Odroid, if there will be one in the future!

Thanks
Michele

Inviato dal mio HTC One utilizzando Tapatalk

I had successfully installed volumio on my tinkerboard but dont know why it wont connect to my network although I am using a LAN cable. What should I do to check what is the problem ?

Finally is working now. I had to set static IP for the network on the LAN for it to work.

While setting up the build scripts for the tinkerboard I also noticed the cpu gets extremely hot.
It is absolutely necessary to mount the heat sink, but the supplied one is of not much use.
We might run into problems when i2s support is included, a PI-compatible DAC will not fit with the supplied heatsink.
(though I’m starting to doubt whether Asus is really willing to support us here as our question remains unanswered)
Additonally, the heatsink would even be less efficient as the HAT then sits on top.
I’m looking for a flatter but bigger sized heat sink, actively cooling is not acceptable for our purpose.
Using Tinkerboard with a USB DAC is a good alternative as the usb bus is not shared with networking like with the PIs.

As for configuration, Tinkerboard is not a PI clone and does not use config.txt.
Additional boot configuration can be done in extlinux.conf, you will find it in the boot partition in a directory called extlinux.

Asus assured me in the volumio blog section that heat is not a problem - and the board will throttle when it reach a certain temperature.

I do think that maybe Odroid is better in terms of stability. What do you think. I never had problems with the usb output.

That is a bit of an unexpected answer from Asus.
Why have a 1.8Ghz based SoC if you cant’ use it because it starts throttling after a few minutes :open_mouth:
Sure, they say heat is (technically) not a problem and yes, there are many ways to solve this with large heat sinks or active cooling. But for our purpose, with passive cooling and perhaps a DAC on top, this is becoming a real challenge.
Don’t know what to think of this yet…

Quick update on Tinker board - seems unstable to me. Left it on for a couple of days and today - it cannot detect my usb dac. Have to reboot for it to work normally again. Giving it another go - if things like that happens again - I’ll post this in the Marketplace section

Instead, it could be good if you could send us logs when that happens, so we can undertand what goes wrong and fix it :wink:
Remember we just started working on this platform, so a bit of instability is to be expected…

Halo Michelangelo, yes thanks for that. I do feel that its a hardware problem initially - but since you say it may be the os - might as well help the committee here. I am a newbie to linux- what command do I need to issue? Let me know and I’ll post the log here

I’ve just installed Volumio in my Tinker Board and I’m impressed with the performance and sound quality on the 3.5mm jack.

I did notice that using the Raspberry Pi touchscreen would work, but not with touch enabled. I installed the plugin and then I was able to use the screen (i.e. I could see the Volumio Ui) with the mouse pointer, but touch wouldn’t work, even after rebooting.

Might be an incompatibility but just wanted to share.

After spending sometime with Rpi3, Odroid C2 and Tinkerboard - all 3 loaded with Volumio - I can say Tinkerboard sounds the best and C2 being the worst sounding board. I am using the usb out to a ifi iusb3 and a very capble peachtree sabre Dac.

The current Volumio version is relatively stable - sometime I have to restart as it lose connection to my dac. Other than that - Heat problem. I changed the govener setting to ‘ondemand’ - therefore heat is still acceptable to me at this point. Hope for a more stable release for tinkerboard soon

I just installed it on my Tinker board, love it so far! No issues.

Volumio up and running fine on my Tinker Board. Had a few issues setting it up, but most I think were due to my Newbie status with this kind of stuff. Mine is running on ethernet, wireless and off IOS app on iPad and iPhone. Can send files from iPhone and iPad to the Tinker Board. Wireless working fine from my LAN. Tinker Board will not recognize 5 G from my Asus modem, but 2.4 GH works fine, and I think is better for distance than 5G. Am running into a TEAC dac via USB out with no issues. Have yet to try some other DACs I own (Emotiva). Headphone out on Tinker Board works decently. I am wondering what, if any, SPDIF out or DAC boards will work on Tinker Board (DigiOne, etc), and if they would be better than USB out. I know you can solder on an SPDIF output, but not sure I want to try soldering. Tinker Board searches the NAS, You Tube and iPad rapidly. For $60, a power supply for $12, and the free Volumio software it is a combo hard to beat. Suppose you can say that about the Pi as well, though a little slower and not as good on wireless and networking.

Any benefits runing ATB with I2S hat compared to RPi3 with I2S other than it has more RAM?

Yes, there is a new Tinker Board version on the way, we have not had the time to test it yet.
Asus is adding kernel support for some HiFiBerry and IQAudio I2S DACs.
Which ones exactly will be communicated when the release image is finished.
We just got a first version to integrate, there is a lot of work on the backlog, so please hold on…

What else is coming not just ATB? Thx.

So with new Tinker Board updated version coming, since I have my up and running well on the previous version, will it update to thew new, or do I have to start over again with the new version?