Apple Music support?

A developer token doesn’t seem to be all of that high of a barrier to entry, unless I’m missing something – how many tens (or hundreds) of thousands of developers already have $99 Apple Developer program memberships?

If necessary, by all means place Apple Music support behind the MyVolumio paywall. Heck, I’m sure you could find 5 people in this forum willing to pony up $20 apiece if the developer program membership is a problem.

1 Like

I don’t know, but I suspect it’s not as simple as you say. For example, look at the problems with theYoutube plugin that Google limited to xxx number of hits per day.

Edit: I think that Apple Music support would be stupendous, but I really think that it’s unlikely to happen soon (please someone, tell me I’m wrong ;)).

1 Like

Since Apple Music doesn’t have a free tier (all users would be paying customers), I don’t really see a reason for Apple to throttle it, unlike Google with Youtube. For example, Apple Music is supported on Alexa devices.

Apple Music plugin would be a killer feature. Especially now, when the Youtube plugin is dead.
I’ve iOS developer account. Will see what can be done.

2 Likes

We implemented browsing already one year sgo5. But unfortunately there was no API for playback.

We would love to do it so if someone finds a way to start playback please let us know

2 Likes

Do you still have that “Apple music browsing” plugin somewhere?

From the wwdc 2018, “MusicKit on the web”:
“We’re also launching the MusicKit JS library. Makes it really easy to use both of those REST APIs in the browser, and it gives your users the ability to play back full songs from the Apple Music catalog and from the iCloud Music Library right in their browser.”

Did you try that maybe?

Exactly. This library is meant to work only in the browser. But we need to have playback OUT from browser…

Once the detailed WWDC schedule is available in a few days, perhaps we can find out a bit more. https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-reveals-lineup-for-its-biggest-ever-worldwide-developers-conference/

Just wanted to add +1 to Apple Music support, my library is mostly in the Apple ecosystem, (unfortunately).

Happy to pay to help fund development if that’s the blocker.

Any update from wwdc?

1 Like

Just to support the cause. We urgently need this apple music plug in. I would be also happy to support (financially)

1 Like

+1 on the Apple Music support

+1 on the plugin

+1 on Apple Music support

Apple Music to support lossless audio and spatial audio, Dolby Atmos.

1 Like

Worth noting that lossless support is part of the base product; there’s no upcharge.

+1 for Apple Music support.

With the new lossless service, the more direct the route into decent playback gear, the better (ie as opposed to via airplay from a phone).

1 Like

We would love to integrate Apple music, but so far we could not access any SDK that makes it possible… An SDK is the part we need to understand how to talk with a service and stream audio from it. Usually we receive directly from the service which allows us to access it

Will the volumio handle Apple Music +

+1 Hope Apple makes the sdk public soon, certainly with hifi coming :slight_smile:

If/when integration for these big streaming apps are available (i.e. apple music, amazon, youtube), will they be exclusive to Volumio premium like Tidal and Qobuz integration?