[Android app][Open Beta] Volumio Control native android application

Oh, when you are at it, mind testing the app? I have done very little testing with V3, and most of it like month ago.

All my testing is already done on V3, V2 came form the Estate :slight_smile:

1 Like

V3. 079, I have 2 pi, installed latest versions, when open the app 2 volumio instances are found but when trying to connect to one of them it crashes, one volumio instances it connects, works ok. When connect from switch page is ok. Only when trying at the beginning… All te time to same vol instances it crashes

Interesting, i believe this might very well be the same underlying issue @chsims1 is having, i really need to get another volumio instance to figure this out, perhaps i can install it on my old laptop tomorrow, there was X86 version of volumio i believe.

Are you on the latest version of the app from playstore? i think it is 0.71 if you look at the app info, or some test version i put here?

Installed from page 89. Your late st version. Not from playstore

1 Like

by any change, do either of you have Xiaomi redmi note phone?

@chsims1 are you on v3 with the offending device aswell btw?

I don’t. But if you want to give me a present :yo-yo:

I hsve a huawey phone mste 10 pro

Managed to get my lonely pi in state that the app fails to find it after installing V3, now if all stars align and it won’t recover i have good change of debugging the proplem with device not getting picked up by the scanner.

Early debugging shows that it’s in my case Json data expection, this is kind of proplems are expected since kotlin is strongly typed, and does not implement nullable type if i am not explicit about wanting a nullable type. So most likely there is something that volumio device might but null in the answer for the rest API, where my code expects that value not being a null resulting in the device not find.

Soon installing in two spare PC’s to get more insight.

Okay, so i dont think this is completely my apps fault in here, for the part of finding the device. This is very much not the rest api response one would expect.

@volumio @ashthespy is there some known proplem with the restapi getSystemInfo api?

Edit: official volumio android app fails to find the device in this state aswell, i guess you use the same rest API call to identify? And so does sound@home aswell, perhaps it does the very same rest API call at beginning.

E2: Okay got the PC running volumio now, it seems that regardless of empty response for “getSystemInfo” endpoint, if i run “getZones” on the PC volumio, it can identify my pi which fails to respond on the “getSystemInfo”

{“zones”:[{“id”:“c4cff031-ef3a-4fdb-ae03-6fa87d5a8403”,“host”:“http://192.168.1.115”,“name”:“VolumioX86”,“isSelf”:true,“type”:“device”,“volumeAvailable”:true,“state”:{“status”:“stop”,“volume”:41,“mute”:false,“artist”:"",“track”:"",“albumart”:“http://192.168.1.115/albumart"}},{“id”:“7bf0b63e-24a0-4bad-9237-6e0af6db0ef8”,“host”:“http://192.168.1.103”,“name”:“PassatMediaCenterV3”,“isSelf”:false,“type”:“device”,“volumeAvailable”:false,“state”:{“status”:“stop”,“volume”:100,“mute”:false,“artist”:“undefined”,“track”:“undefined”,“albumart”:"http://192.168.1.103undefined”}}]}

So in this light, perhaps the “getZones” on any found device is more robust implementation.

No to phone.

I am using currently two devices on 2.907 & one on 3.x.

rest api is really good :lying_face: :exploding_head: :dizzy_face: works in every place different…

Tested with version from message 86.
Running with 2 installation of Volumio V3.097. 1 on rPi3-model2 and rPi4-4GB.

BUGS:

• Detection instances: Detection is very random. Sometimes I see both, sometimes only the last connected. It seems to be caused by missing waiting time. As the fastest rPi4 does always appear. The slow one rPi3 is miising 90% of the time.
  • System => Switch => Application crashes. But need to do this in order to change from instance.
  • Every action done on the music library, located on my NAS, takes 2 seconds to respond. (browsing, opening album, load albumart, using back ). With an USB library it works smooth.
  • Opening Albums, shows 0 Albums while loading…
  • Albums’s ?
  • Genres => select genre => select album => only shows track, top album art missing
  • Inconsistent use of icons in webradio

Working:

• Select instance by IP
  • After crash (caused by system => switch) when both instance are shown, I can select either one of them. application will load.

So far my contribution

1 Like

Yes, i believe i have sorted most of it now. Give test version soonish. Now it should also properly persist the addresses of devices manually connected.

This should be fixed now aswell, found it out as soon as i installed the volumio on my pc and had two instances.

How it works on Web gui? i dont think i have any optimisations for this part yet and its using the slow navigation’s what was before for albums etc aswell.

So it seems, my “type resolver” does not pick it up as album, so it opens it up on general navigation view instead, will try to find an regex to correctly pick it up.

I try to investigate this, it happens on elsewhere also, for some reason the “default” picture is not drawn on the view when the request to load the image fails/timeouts.

thx for feedback!

1 Like

The Web gui works without issues

1 Like

Okay, here you go → VolumioClient__release.zip (2.3 MB)

It does still need an fix for the case where the “getSystemInfo” is not working properly im on it, thought i believe this should be fixed at the volumios end.

if it does not find your device, even after once manually connecting to it with ipaddress. try → “http://ipaddress/api/v1/getSystemInfo”(ie. http://192.168.1.103/api/v1/getSystemInfo) in your pc or phone browser, if it shows up like for me above, then its an issue of the device not working properly, its in some random state from where it wont response.

Even if that happens, manually connecting to that IP address should now work, it just simply wont show the device in that list, since i have not been able to verify its volumio device.(i dont want for example to show some printer in the list, which would happen without the verification, then everyone is angry and the app is sh*t because it shows random devices as volumios)

I sincerely doubt that this issue is related to the device in question, as calling it manually works. However the rPi3 response is slower.
But I see it seems to remember the last one correctly, now It shows only the rPi3 not the rPi4

Solved:

• System => Switch
  • Genres => select genre => select album => fixed

Bug:

• Every action done on the music library, located on my NAS, takes 2 seconds to respond. (browsing, opening album, load albumart, using back ). With an USB library it works smooth.

• Inconsistent use of icons in webradio

• Found a new one, webradio, not a bug but a bit…

(A bit creative to hide my token)

2 Bugs solved, 2 remain as indicated. we’re getting there

1 Like

Not in every case, there is ongoing issue with the Google’s NSDmanager aswell related to finding devices with same service which is issue for automatically finding all the devices everytime.(I’m looking for alternative way of scanning network now, until google gets their stuff together)

after manually connecting to the device which can’t be found at least once, it should not be an issue anymore to find that device, since i already know the IP address on next launch and directly make the rest API call on it to identify, if it still then don’t show up I’m quite confident that it’s the rest API related bug in this case.(for me it refuses to find another of the devices aswell, but when i manually connect to that device once, then its found on every launch after that, on all of my test devices)

but in cases where the volumio device fails to response on the rest API call, it’s 100% volumio backend fault, at this point the official volumio app won’t find the device either, same goes for sound@home. I don’t think we all the made very same programming mistake.

About the webradio, for some it returns transparent art, this is same for web GUI, i won’t waste time on this at least for now, since a general fix for this won’t be that easy. It does however now load the radio icon for all radios that does not have art with them.

I think i need to limit the line count of song title :slight_smile: good catch!

I just mentioned it, I don’t think it’s a show stopper. You can always add via IP. Volumio is not the only one having this issue. It’s know by Roon and Audirvan, to name a few.

On the weburl, if you exceed a certain length, just display the station name and as track something like web radio (depending on the source) the WebGUI of Volumio doesn’t do a better job, but with the app it’s more visible.

Yeah I was thinking that if the urls contains “some station.mp3” or so at the beginning i could cut it from there, that’s in my opinion the relevant information from there, since it usually follows up with random numbers and letters. Ofc if i find a way to get rest of the information from there i will use that implementation.

I still got one thing I want to try with automatic search, if it works cool, but however it goes, i think i put the automatic finder on bottom of the Todo list and focus on other more important things.