Allo DIgiOne review

Enjoy Pistollero . :slight_smile:

the only thing i feel is the sound a little faster… seems a bit faster than normal…
i think max2play sounds more natural…
do you know the correct alsa parameters on squeelite for the digione… buffer etc…
this values seem to change the perception of sound.

Hi

as such there are no correct parameters…whatever sounds better for you. In fact it should make no difference…but it does.

Which Volumio version is recommended, latest test 2.272?

Hi Pistollero
did you do the comparison wih digi+ PRO ?

Yes… i think digi pro e very good also but with external power supply…on the 3.3v side.

Loving the DigiOne with the JDS Labs EL DAC but I find that I need to reboot at the beginning of most sessions. I’ve had a couple of different HifiBerry boards that never required this - but they didn’t sound as good. Anyway, is there something that can be done or do I just need to get used to it.

Why do you need to reboot? Never experienced such problem…

Did you power off your other equipment like DAC and AMP between sessions, and leave the DigiOne on? Mine completely looses sound when I switch power off on connected devices. Theory so far is that the DigiOne is super sensitive and the issue is caused by some kind of grounding issue or power spike at shutdown. Restart fixes it. I have no solution for this yet and I know my other equipment have no power or grounding issues.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Weitsche, I leave my DAC on but do turn off my amp. Interesting. Thanks for the input.

Your welcome! Please check if this is indeed the same with your case and let me know. I think this is someting Allo needs to look at, not Volumio, as this is possibly a hardware issue and not software related. I get the same issue on piCorePlayer.

deleted my post, still testing again, sorry [emoji6]

I have the same problem too…

Enviado do meu SM-J500F através de Tapatalk

Unfortunately Digione is very sensitive on noise that appears on RCA or BNC connectors .

Some DACs , Amps etc send a spike of noise when turned on/off and this couples into the DC/DC convertor.

Its possible to mitigate this by using good grounding on the DAC and AMP side. (basically making sure that they are both grounded)

Thanks Allo. So I have a Schiit Modi and Magni Uber. I use their stock linear PSU. I am not aware of any way to further improve the grounding on my DAC and AMP. What other measures can be taken to avoid this issue?

My next question is, if a software restart fixes this issue, that is without switching off the power, can’t the software some how compensate for this and re-initialize the hardware if there is an issue, and recover quicker?

That’s a good question… I am thinking on it, but I don’t think there is a way (digione driver does not support overlay unload and reload on the fly…)

Hello ,

what linear PSU are you using ? I dont think that Shiit is making any linear psu. Maybe you have a different brand ?

Thanks M! So do you think it could be done if Allo update their driver in the future?

The Uber versions have LPSU as stated in the spec pages of Schiit’s. It looks like a wall wart, its the same OEM manufacturer as the Allo PSU, but the Schiit states its a linear PSU. Even if not, its the stock PSU from Schiit, no modifications done.

Ok I will ask the team to look into it.

Meanwhile , do one test. Shut down the DAC first and then the AMP. Let me know if you still see the problem.