ALLO Boss

reset to defaults didn’t work, so I put fresh image of the newest version and now everything is detected correctly. thanks!

My BOSS just arrived today, have been playing a bit with my plugins first and was looking to build a case… I do have a question though, the BOSS has GPIO headers, they should be the same as on the Pi right? As in they are connected to the corresponding pin on the Pi.

I mean according to the documentation the J19 header should contain SDA1 and SCL1 (i2c), when I connect my LCD, i2cdetect gives me:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f 00: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 4d -- -- 50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Ergo the code should be 4d? But if I put that (0x4d) in the LCDd.conf the screen stays blank, if I connect it straight to the pi I get 27, putting that (0x27) in the LCDd.conf does put text on the LCD. Am I doing something wrong, or is it maybe a driver issue (I think not, because i2cdetect works). Or maybe the BOSS requires a bit more configuration on that part.

Can someone with a little more knowledge shed some light on this? It could be that I’m putting the wrong port in the config; I’ve tried: 0x4d, 0x4D, 0x4dd, 0x4DD, 0x44d, 0x44D and ofc 0x27. These seemed most likely, but I could be reading the ic2detect output wrong.

Please help :unamused:

New update, it appeared that the last install was incomplete, I forgot to turn on i2s, but now I get the UU (skipped):

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f 00: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- 50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Will try again this afternoon :wink: But feel free to jump in if you have tips and/or tricks :wink:

UPDATE: I see now that the BOSS DAC ‘uses’ (it’s reserved for the Volt) the I2C signals, can someone from allo confirm that I cannot use the SDA/SCL signals for my LCD? :slight_smile:

Answer from our engineers :

""I2C signals on the connect J19 of Boss Board can be used for any other board. We have tested it, works fine.
I2C is also used by Boss board and address is(0x4d) .
You are getting value of Boss board "

Hi,
just ordered a Boss DAC, intending to use it with my RPI3 and Volumio.
I know the first design of the board had to be modified because of a small mistake with capacitor/resistor.
Does anybody know how to make sure I’m getting the new corrected version ?
Thanks a lot for any information about that, and thanks for such a great piece of software !
E.M.

I reply for Allo: the unit I received was a pre-production one. They started production once they fixed the issue, so your DAC will be 100% the correct version.
I received my new version of the Allo BOSS yesterday, and the sound is more balanced now: mediums are how they should be. The difference is not very noticeable, but its there. Allo, bravi!

Hi Michelangelo and thanks for your quick answer. Good to know I don’t have to worry about that. I’m really looking forward to listening to it, your review makes it sound excellent.
Have a nice day !

Hey allo,

You are right! I2C does work, but the documentation is wrong I think. In the technical manual the top left pin (image on page three) should be PIN1 right? So PIN5 (SDA) should be third from the top on the left row, but it is third from the top on the right row, and so on. So the pinout diagram is right for the Allo volt, but should be mirrored for the Boss documentation. Correct me if I’m wrong of course. :slight_smile:

Sorry , I just seen the last post…I think you are right our team will check it in the morning.

I want to feed my Boss Dac separately. In the tech manual on the allo website I read:

*Optional 5V battery power in connector (J4) provided for future use. CAUTION: R826 Resistor to be removed (to isolate sbc power from boss power) before connecting external power on J4 connector.

I do not see an R826 but on that place on the PCB I see a 0-resistor, I suppose it is the same?

And, is it also possible to isolate the Raspberry from the Boss by bending Raspberry GPIO pins 2,4,6 (so that I do not need to remove the 0-resistor)?

I hope someone can help me with these questions!

Hello,

I read all the posts and tech specs. of the DAC but can’t understand if is there a hardware volume control, hope someone can help.

Thanks

P.S.
I’m from Florence, it would be great if is there a chance to meet Michelangelo…

Hi Bagolaro,
yes the BOSS has an hardware Volume control.
Come to my studio to meet me! Send me a pm and I will tell you the address :wink:

Hello Michelangelo, thanks.
I’m new in the forum and I can’t write PM.

So send me an email to info at volumio dot org :wink:

@Michelangelo

Did you notice my question yesterday? I hope you can answer it!

I think Allo can give you a better answer for this question, I’m reporting to them :wink:

Hi John ,

On the download page of the BOSS allo.com/sparky/boss-dac.html#downloads you will find the instruction for external power supply.

I’m new to Volumio and have a Rpi3 with a BOSS DAC. All is working well but when selecting tracks or play/pausing there are small audio clicks. I’m not sure if this is the DAC or volumio?

Hi Gary

I heard about this “clicks” before…will check my emails to see where.

I have a question regarding Allo DACs. I have read on this thread only that BOSS is like Piano + Kali combo on steroids. Then why is that people buy Piano + Kali combination instead of BOSS even when BOSS is cheaper than the combo. Are there any special features or better sound quality present in Piano and Kali combo due to which people prefer those (I know only about subwoofer feature on Piano 2.1). I am also aware that Piano + Kali does have some issues with Kodi/SPMC due to reclocker and I assume these issues will not be present on BOSS with Kodi/SPMC.
Please help and clear my doubts.