Advice wanted on suitable Pi DAC

Patrick, kudos for such explanation, really comprehensive and sensible.

I agree on all the line. IMHO the first (altough there are others) reason why such DACs are so good sounding is their communication path. No conversions via USB or SPDIF. The audio stream just does the shortest path. The only big issue of this approach is the clock (that on PI is very poor), that introduces jitter (i2s is a very jitter prone interface), and there’s where the Reclockers like the Kali comes in.

I’m planning to do an extensive research on quick mods that can be done to the PI to make it reach higher levels.

Thanks for your info.

I did originally look at getting an external DAC solution but deemed it too expensive.

The Pi looks like ultimate solution for my needs.

I do like the idea of the HiFiberry DAC Pro+. The only downside, from what I have read, is that in order to get the best sound from it, requires the use of a soldering iron, to give it an external power source of its own. Something that is beyond me…

The Kali re-clocker / piano option also looks like a very good solution, but seems to currently lack a case. Plus there are the unknown import costs…

What is the HiFiBerry like without the mods ?

Have you compared it to other dacs?

I am in the same situation. I´d rather buy a new pair of speakers that a 500 euro DAC.
I think I will be exploring the Kali/Piano option. No case is indeed a drawback. If I don´t like it I can always get the Digi+ and buy a DAC. Is there a list of DACs that work well with the RPI?

Has anyone tried the HIFIBerry, Piano/ Kali combination DACs against an external DAC, such as :

Arcam irDAC
Audiolab MDAC
Bereford Caimain MKII / SEG
Rega R-DAC

I am toying with the Idea of using an External DAC, so that I have more flexibility as to what I can plug into it.

Bearing in mind that I am looking for a nice warm-sounding signature to compliment the Arcam equipment I already have.

Thanks

I have compared it to my hifiberry dac+ and a Cambridge dacmagic…

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

and what is your opinion?

Kali+piano a clear winner :slight_smile:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Good info here as I am looking at the following as well HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, Mamboberry LS DAC+/Kali combo, Kali + Piano Bundle and undecided on which route to go.

FWIW, I had a RPi2 with HFB Digi+ feeding a Musical Fidelity V-DAC II + V-PSU II combo. I switched to a HFB Dac Pro, just to see what people were talking about (this cheap stuff can never match proper kit…). I then added a separate PSU to the analogue side of the HFB card and the standard of reproduction went up again. She Who Must Be Obeyed (who takes very little interest in the hardware and my efforts) sat up in surprise and commented that the sound was much more like what she first heard from the vinyl LPs. That was the point at which I sold the MF kit… The Musical Fidelity stuff went onto Ebay that day

Chris M

Hello i will probably sell Mamboberry LS DAC+ which I have two weeks, for my Yamaha Amp and too live speakers Piano suits sligtly better.
If you are interested, let me know , price max 30 Euro

Regards

Vita

Any timetable for native Volumio support for the Hifiberry DAC + Pro? Would like to try it out and utilize all of its features.

Thanks.

Is the piano DAC by itself superior to the HiFiBerry DAC+ or does one need to add to the piano DAC the Kali relocker for best results? What Pi are you using and what speakers?

I am planning to make the switch from CDs to Volumio using the Pi and Kali+Piano, along with a Yamaha Integrated and the KEF LS50’s. I’m thinking that I’m in for a treat. My former system was a Rotel separates system with CD player and Paradigm speakers. I think there is probably a lot to be gained just by converting from CD player to Pi & DAC. Thoughts?

degarmo

I don’t understand why the 2.1 has 4 cable ports instead of 2 like the Piano 2 has? Can anyone enlighten me?

Havent tested without the Kali. But would think that it’s a huge part in the great sound the combo delivers

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Friend… 2 LR outs … 2 LR subwoofer out

Is there a case for the Kali Piano combo?