Adding Tidal Connect

This is for the MiniDSP company to decide, you should direct this question to the minidsp forum

Can I test it personally on my Allo USBridge Signature?
Do you have an open link for that?

Thanks!

Today I grabbed a RPi 4b and installed Volumio 2.882 onto it and then logon Virtuoso.

The result is the same, the PC desktop app and Android app could connect using Tidal connect, but iPhone and iPad couldnā€™t.

Anyone have idea on this? Many thanks!

Did you update the iPad app for the latest version?

Yes, I have

Router restarted?

Have tried before when I was using the x86 version of volumio, not yet tried after switching to the RPi verision. Canā€™t do so now as I am still working (re-connect to my employerā€™s VPN network is very troublesomeā€¦), may so so later when I am off.

Hi,

today Iā€™ve installed the X86 Volumio image in a virtual machine (Proxmox = KVM + QEMU) and connected the VM on the server with a cheap USB-Toslink adapter to my AV-receiver. If Tidal Connect tracks are started via the Volumio Android app or the Volumio web-interface sound is great. But if tracks are started via the Tidal Connect Android app and the device is switched to Volumio I hear a constant crackling. It sounds like packet loss. Is there any configuration option I can try to get rid of that constant crackling?

I just tested Volumio on a Tinkerboard connected to the AV-receiver via HDMI.
There is no crackling sound with the Tidal Connect Android app.

Does anyone have an idea why?
Do the Tidal Connect app and the Volumio app work differently in any way?

I tested a Behringer Firepower FCA610 USB audio interface.
It shows the same behaviour like the cheap USB-TOSLink adapter.

x86-VM      + USB audio interface + Tidal app       = crackling sound
x86-VM      + USB audio interface + Volumio app/web = great sound
Tinkerboard + USB audio interface + Tidal app       = great sound
Tinkerboard + USB audio interface + Volumio app/web = great sound
Tinkerboard + HDMI audio          + Tidal app       = great sound
Tinkerboard + HDMI audio          + Volumio app/web = great sound

Hi Renne,
thatā€™s really hard for us to troubleshoot and fix in VM. Volumio is meant to be run directly on the device itself, using on a VM introduce a lot of ā€œunknownā€ for us.
The only thing you can try is to update to latest development version (where we have a new implementation of the playback part) and see it that solves it.
Otherwise I am really sorry but you are out of luckā€¦

Does anyone else have trouble with tidal connect and the Justboom Digi HAT? I can connect with Tidal connect but there is no playback. The dial moves but no sound. The Volumio tidal app works fine.

I switched off shairpoint-sync; changed the volume mixer type to software and did a factory reset with no luck. Iā€™m suspecting it is a problem with the Justboom HAT?

System:
RP 3+ to Justboom Digi to schiit Modi

Any suggestions?

Do you get sound out running through the browser playing TIDAL without TC? Have you tried going out of the RPi USB to see if thereā€™s sound that way?

@PeteB Which DAC model do you have selected under Audio Output on the Playback Options page? I think I tried a couple of options for my Justboom Zero Digi HAT before I got sound out of mine (not Tidal Connect, which is currently not supported on Pi Zero), the Justboom Digi Boards option works fine for me into Modi DAC and then into Schiit Heresy Headphone amp.

In fact, what are you playing out of from the Modi?

Wow, this is one finicky piece of software!
I have the latest Volumio running on RPI4 with allo-digione.
At one point, it all worked except Volumio did NOT appear in Tidal.
Both Volumio app on android and Volumio web app could see RPI4/Volumio and I could play Tidal music with sound. But as I said, I could not see Volumio in the android app.

So, having read through this thread, I too tried the factory reset. And what do you know? I can now see Volumio in the Tidal app. I start to play and Volumio app shows progress bar, but there is NO SOUND and the Tidal appā€™s play button is just spinning.

Really, Volumio team needs to do some thorough testing and guide us through this process with clear guidelines. As it is, we just try this and try that, such as, the software mixer, Shareport, factory resetā€¦
Please adviseā€¦ before I give up and go back to Bluesound which I really do not want to do because allo sounds clearly better.
Yes, Bluesoundā€™s Tidal Connect is quite stable.

Oh, I forgot to mention that internet radio plays fine with audio.

Perhaps you should read the whole thread to see that we did do a lot of testing, have been adding improvements and getting help from our community.
Not everyone is suffering the problems you have and we donā€™t know anything about your install either.

Also you can help us, start with telling us more about your configuration, and especially, which exact version you are running. Note, ā€œlatest versionā€ does not qualify, we need the number :wink:

Latest version available for download is v2.8.8.2.
If you charge for released software, there is a certain amount of responsibility to provide official documentation and support. Of course, users can participate during beta testing and share information. But this is supposed to be a release version. And I should not have to read over 300 comments to figure out what to do.

After factory reset on RPI4 with allo digione (no pluginā€™s), it now shows up in Tidal app and I can start to play. Within minute or so, playback simply stops and I have ti kick-start it by Previous or Next button. If there are instructions to gather test log, I will do so.

sorry, did not know/ you did not refer to a payed account, in this case, please refer to "info at "volumio.org for dedicated support.

The test version (v2.904) with the new alsa backend can be downloaded by enabling test mode on http://{your_volumio_address}/dev. Please do not update if you are not experiecing issues with the current stable version. Also, if you have enabled software mixer before as a workaround, please set it on hardware.

Random drop outs (which are solved by pressing next / previous) are mostly network / internet related. There also seem to be some capacity problems during peak hours on tidal infrastructure. We are talking to them about that.

Using a Rpi 3, Volumio ver. 2.907, through an Allo Boss Dac, controlled with an iPhone, Tidal connect has been working really well. To be honest, I feel like Iā€™ve been neglecting the rest of the software in favor of it.

I can trip it Tidal Connect if I continuously switch from connect to a ā€œLocalā€ Volumio source like my library or Qobuz and back but usually a restart of the Tidal app clears that up and it doesnā€™t fail consistently enough for me to call it a bug. Mark that one as user error.

There is one slight bug that I have noticed though. The ā€œplay nextā€ feature simply will not work. I generally listen to my whole favorites list on shuffle while looking up other songs. I use the play next feature to hear a song without disturbing the shuffled queue in Tidal. Through Connect, Play Next does nothing. I have no idea if this would be on Tidalā€™s end or on yours. Itā€™s in no way a deal breaker, Tidal Connect gets the most use by far than any other Volumio Service currently, but it does annoy me a little bit.

Hi,

Iā€™m facing the same issue on v 2.907 on my futro:

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/ZbXjA4s.html

No issues with volumio tidal integration, it happens only with tidal connect.

When it happens i need to skip the track that is currently stuck.

as per volumio web interface, the next song seems properly retrieved but the seek is already at its end ( sometimes at half )

Please let me know If any further detail is required

Thanks

Luca

Edit: screenshots link