Adding Tidal Connect

Something based on pi4 or tinkerboard is always a save route. There are lots of people in the community that can recommend you a specific solution. Happy choosing :slight_smile:

After some time spent on testing Tidal Connect, see one issue. When i turn on RPi4 and Volumio is loaded and ready to go, then i turn on Tidal and start Tidal Connect, hit Play button. Everything works fine. Then i stop playback, do some other stuff on mobile phone and let say after 30min brake i want to Play music again. So i am turning on Tidal App, it connects with TidalConnect but no sound. Trying to hit Play button on Tidal App but without reaction, won’t start. However it works when playing on built in mobile phone speaker. Restarting Tidal App doesn’t help. Only one solution which help is turning RPi4 off and on again. Anyone have similar problems?

Thank you Volumio Team. Works like a charm. A game changer for me in which music service I use. Having stopped using Tidal for various reasons to do with MQA I have five Tidal a second innings now Volumio supports Tidal Connect.

I have been using Roon for a while to give me a high level of service but as it’s only really supporting Tidal and Qobuz I didn’t and don’t think it’s worth paying for that as well as the music service(s) and as I also use Volumio I am a Superstar subscriber.

Playing around with my setup and have gone USB from my RPi4 instead of using the Allo DigiOne HAT as Tidal Connect passes through MQA to my DAC which fully decides/unfolds. Having shelled out ÂŁ200 on a high quality USB cable I have a better sound than using the DigiOne HAT with Roon doing the MQA decoding/unfolding via RAAT.

Tidal Connect means I only need the one app for music duty and I’ll support Volumio or providing this.

Thank you

3 Likes

Hi I submitted a detailed problem description in this thread at:

Other SMSL dac users also reported similar behavior.
I checked the troubleshooting faq and tried software mixer etc.

Tidal connect is visible and can be selected. Volumio gui says a client connected but whenever you try to play something the time slider doesn’t move and there is no sound.
Details and debug log in my linked post.

1. I just installed the latest 2.882 version with RPi zero w and without Shairport active in sources setting Tidal connect can’t see volumio (while it sees eg my AV receiver). I’m on the latest Tidal app on iOS. Tried to disable Shaiport, restart Tidal app and still the same. Without Shairport active in volumio settings Tidal app can’t see volumio. Any idea what can be wrong?

I couldnt see volumio in Tidal. Rpi3b with Allo Digione. I tried anything. The solution was to make a factory restore in Volumio. Now it works and it is really fast! Thanks to the Volumio team! /Livetime subscriber

1 Like

I tried factory reset, and it works - Tidal Connect. BUT… when I deactivate Shairport it is the same as before - Tidal can’t see it… so in my case Tidal connect only works with Shairpoint active. Otherwise Tidal app doesn’t show volumio as output device.

Well. After seeing other people doing factory resets with success, I first upgraded to 2882 but same problem. Then did a factory reset and now tidal connect works.

For all those having problems maybe a reset may solve your problem too.

I will report if I see problems.

This is a problemen specific to your dac, we did not see it on any other. Is there any setting you can change on the dac itself? For example USB mode?

Otherwise you could try a volumio buster beta build to see if it works with a newer kernel / driver.

Well, I have just boom digi DAC with RPi zero w. I tried both just boom digi as well as generic i2s in Volumio config. I also tried to disable i2s and use headphone and hdmi output. Still the same - Tidal app can’s see volumio :frowning: The only thing which helps is to activate Shairport sync…

Tidal connect won’t work on pi zero or pi 1. We are checking if there is a solution

Ok, thanks volumio. I will try it on my second system with RPi 4B.

Would be great to enable it also for RPi zero w if possible.

Appreciate all your great support.

Update: just checked it with RPi4 and Hifiberry digi+ Pro and tidal connect works with no issues. So it seems the issue is really with tidal connect and RPi zero (w)

There are no input related settings on the dac. I also checked manufacturers website for any firmware updates but there were none.
Anyway after the reset it is working.
I will flash buster on a new sd card and try when I have time and report back.

Updated the faq. Please read carefully when you are experiencing issues.

2 Likes

Just curious: Is there difference how Volumio handles track
a) when playing with Tidal App using Connect
b) when playing with Volumio App?

Hi,
Mr. Volumio, I have recently taken the time to write you a small personal email to let you know my dissatisfaction with the software as of late and how I was thinking of foregoing my annual subscription which was coming to renewal within days. Well since I took the time to let you know of my grievances, it is only fair that I take the time to congratulate you on your latest release (evidently not the 2.878 but the 2.883) and your inclusion of the Tidal Connect app. which has simply remove the uncomfortable and needless, for you to bare, onus of such task, and to place it back where it belongs which is, on the supplier’s shoulders.

And so, as I said earlier, M. Garise, you and your team have done a very good job on this release and made my life that much more enjoyable on its daily journey through the music maze, and the amazing musical repertoire that exists and is available to whom wishes to undertake the audiophile’s pathway.

Sincerely,
Robert Audet

4 Likes

Congrats to the Volumio team! Amazing achievement.

I have never used Volumio, but the addition of Tidal Connect is a game-changer.

With the MyVolumio plan, can I install multiple Tidal Connect endpoints? For instance, can I install Volumio on two different RPi4’s and use Tidal Connect on each?

P.S. I would love to eventually implement this on the RPi Zero W. Please add me to the list of interested users.

Listening to Tidal connect right now as I’m typing this, excellent job. I’ve enjoyed Volumio on and off for years(I even played around with an old Raspyfi build when that was around)and this latest addition just made it so much better. Now I can shuffle-play my whole favorites library with the push of a button! One update and bam! Working Tidal Connect! Thanks to the entire Volumio team!

Pi3b with Allo Boss dac working perfectly!

I forgot to report that yes when I changed my mixer to software instead of hardware (and actually hit the save button unlike my first attempt!), that fixed the issue. I’m now enjoying Tidal Connect with no issues!

There is a difference. TidalConnect uses a different media player than tidal on volumio.