Adding Tidal Connect

Updated the FAQ, please read carefully before posting.

Am I the only one having issues with PAUSE -Tidal connect works fine until I stop the music from the ios Tidal app - then a stutter buzz noise starts untill I press play again.
Allo Usbridge → Schiit Bifrost2 Dac

My Allo Usbridge is running on the sparky platform and I cannot get an update to 8.878. How did you use the rpi3 image?
Any info helpful, thanks

I’ve had the same issue with the USBridge Sig in the past but with a different OS.

I found that grounding the USBridge Sig chassis helps and does reduce general background noise also.

I use the Nirvana PSU which makes grounding easier.

Cheap and easy to try.

No problems with my USBridge Sig into Pro-ject S2 and Tidal Connect.

i Have the BifrostV1 but never use the USB input.

Very happy to see Tidal Connect works with Volumio - thanks a lot! Everything work fine. I have only 3 questions to clarify:

1. Is it correct that Shairport must be enabled in Volumio sources to enable Tidal? When I disable it Tidal doesn’t see Volumio / RPi

2. Master quality tracks only play 16bit / 44.1 kHz via Tidal Connect app while when I play the same track via Volumio Tidal (no Tidal Connect and Tidal app) it shows 24 bit / 48 kHz. Any idea why?

3. How does it work with volume control in Tidal app vs in Volumio? Tidal app volume control is not very nice and not precise. Do both volume controls work together?

4. They is sometime some noise - pops / clicks between tracks - I observed it mainly with Master tracks not sure if it is also the case for Hifi quality

@ravitester Unfortunately the sparky board is not supported anymore. Please see: No more Volumio for Sparky? - #4 by judydudi

1. TC is not relying on Shairport but could be conflicting somehow because it also uses mdns. Can you try to disable Shairport and restart Tidal Connect?

2. Volumio can not control the variant of the track, this is handled by Tidal and based on the selected quality in the app.

3. When Tidal Connect is active it is the volume control master. You can change volume from the app or from volumio. We can not control the curve used.

4. This is probably caused by your driver or equipment. There will probably be a thread on the forum related to your hardware.

Time to move on… Which platform would you suggest has the most users and will continue to be supported. I did buy a Khadas VIM3L to be the transport the excellent Khadas Tone 2 Pro DAC, but that is not supported either. My track record in getting the right transport is poor, and I need some inside information.
Thanks

Something based on pi4 or tinkerboard is always a save route. There are lots of people in the community that can recommend you a specific solution. Happy choosing :slight_smile:

After some time spent on testing Tidal Connect, see one issue. When i turn on RPi4 and Volumio is loaded and ready to go, then i turn on Tidal and start Tidal Connect, hit Play button. Everything works fine. Then i stop playback, do some other stuff on mobile phone and let say after 30min brake i want to Play music again. So i am turning on Tidal App, it connects with TidalConnect but no sound. Trying to hit Play button on Tidal App but without reaction, won’t start. However it works when playing on built in mobile phone speaker. Restarting Tidal App doesn’t help. Only one solution which help is turning RPi4 off and on again. Anyone have similar problems?

Thank you Volumio Team. Works like a charm. A game changer for me in which music service I use. Having stopped using Tidal for various reasons to do with MQA I have five Tidal a second innings now Volumio supports Tidal Connect.

I have been using Roon for a while to give me a high level of service but as it’s only really supporting Tidal and Qobuz I didn’t and don’t think it’s worth paying for that as well as the music service(s) and as I also use Volumio I am a Superstar subscriber.

Playing around with my setup and have gone USB from my RPi4 instead of using the Allo DigiOne HAT as Tidal Connect passes through MQA to my DAC which fully decides/unfolds. Having shelled out £200 on a high quality USB cable I have a better sound than using the DigiOne HAT with Roon doing the MQA decoding/unfolding via RAAT.

Tidal Connect means I only need the one app for music duty and I’ll support Volumio or providing this.

Thank you

3 Likes

Hi I submitted a detailed problem description in this thread at:

Other SMSL dac users also reported similar behavior.
I checked the troubleshooting faq and tried software mixer etc.

Tidal connect is visible and can be selected. Volumio gui says a client connected but whenever you try to play something the time slider doesn’t move and there is no sound.
Details and debug log in my linked post.

1. I just installed the latest 2.882 version with RPi zero w and without Shairport active in sources setting Tidal connect can’t see volumio (while it sees eg my AV receiver). I’m on the latest Tidal app on iOS. Tried to disable Shaiport, restart Tidal app and still the same. Without Shairport active in volumio settings Tidal app can’t see volumio. Any idea what can be wrong?

I couldnt see volumio in Tidal. Rpi3b with Allo Digione. I tried anything. The solution was to make a factory restore in Volumio. Now it works and it is really fast! Thanks to the Volumio team! /Livetime subscriber

1 Like

I tried factory reset, and it works - Tidal Connect. BUT… when I deactivate Shairport it is the same as before - Tidal can’t see it… so in my case Tidal connect only works with Shairpoint active. Otherwise Tidal app doesn’t show volumio as output device.

Well. After seeing other people doing factory resets with success, I first upgraded to 2882 but same problem. Then did a factory reset and now tidal connect works.

For all those having problems maybe a reset may solve your problem too.

I will report if I see problems.

This is a problemen specific to your dac, we did not see it on any other. Is there any setting you can change on the dac itself? For example USB mode?

Otherwise you could try a volumio buster beta build to see if it works with a newer kernel / driver.

Well, I have just boom digi DAC with RPi zero w. I tried both just boom digi as well as generic i2s in Volumio config. I also tried to disable i2s and use headphone and hdmi output. Still the same - Tidal app can’s see volumio :frowning: The only thing which helps is to activate Shairport sync…

Tidal connect won’t work on pi zero or pi 1. We are checking if there is a solution

Ok, thanks volumio. I will try it on my second system with RPi 4B.

Would be great to enable it also for RPi zero w if possible.

Appreciate all your great support.

Update: just checked it with RPi4 and Hifiberry digi+ Pro and tidal connect works with no issues. So it seems the issue is really with tidal connect and RPi zero (w)