For Sale: Dell Wyse 3040 x86 Thin Clients with pre-installed Volumio for 50€!

The units are on their way, there are still a number available.
(Without headphone and wireless dongle :wink: )

4 Likes

5 from 10 left

1 Like

Hello;

Is the method of converting such device proprietary or secret or can it be shared? I googled and this is the only mention of putting volumio on it. I do have such device that I’d like to repurpose and it would be nice if it can be done.

Thanks.

No, it is not a secret.
Flash version 3.179 to a USB stick, make USB first in boot order, boot from the stick, use “InstallToDisk” from the system menu to install to internal eMMC and you’re done.

2 from 10 left.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: X86 Hardware issues (WiFi, DAC, Disks, Boot etc.)

Received both little thingies today. They were well packed.
Booting takes a bit long and the audio quality through the jack is acceptable, but that’s about all the complaining I can do.
Navigating through the libraries goes much smoother than via my rPI4-8GB. No lagging or waiting for loading. Connected my Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digtal and it rocks.

For sure a recommendation!!!

Hi @gkkpch I also want one pls or two.
Thanks

PM bitte

Yes, I think it shows there is a “market” for such low-end X86 devices.
Pity I can’t get hold of more of them for that price.
The Wyse 3040 is not the fastest to boot because we of a standard x86_amd64 kernel plus its eMMC is not super fast.
But once the device is up and running, it is very responsive.

Hi @gkkpch hast Du noch von den wyse einen übrig? Ich würde gerne einen nehmen, finde aber leider nicht den PM button, wenn ich auf dein Profil gehe… kannst Du mich bitte kurz anschreiben?

Click on his name and select “message”

1 Like

Just wonder if this function is not active yet…

Yeah, new kid on the block :slight_smile:
Ge will respond on your request.

1 Like

Any of these left - I would take one at that price?

The Wyse 3040 units are currently sold out, but I can get another batch of 10.
As this seller asks 5 € more, the new price is 50€!
Notes included, latest Volumio 3 pre-installed.

2 of this batch are already reserved, leaves 8!

New batch arriving Friday.
6 left.

Point made. removed from topic

I don’t quite see the relevance with Volumio and the Volumio 3 streamer discussed here :wink:
So please don’t go too far off-topic.

Hello,
Received them and have time to, almost, setup one of them and it works flawlessly, the speed in the GUI it’s similar to my raspberry pi3b+, but the sound is better even though I’m using the jack, my twins confirmed this point…

As gkkpch said, this low cost old thin clients have a lot to do yet, now looking for a wyse 5070 to substitute my home assistant server which runs in a rk3328…

And don’t forget how well packed came and, even with printed instructions. Thanks gkkpch

Edited to add that I was able to backup my settings from the RaspberryPi and restore them in Wyse using the plugin BACKUP/RESTORE in the wyse I had to install it manually.