32bit I2S always

Hi,

I just try to juse Volumio and hit a major problem. In my dac I would need 32 bit data format, always, even if the file resolution is 16 bit.

I have installed 1.41 on B+, the only I2S driver what seem to work is the hifiberry, but it puts 16 bit out when the file is 16 bit.

Do you know a solution ? I do not want to resample. I use multiple sample rate and resolution.

Thanks,

JG

Hi JG,

What DAC are you using ?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

At the moment I use an ES9023 based DAC and it works fine with hifiberry. In the other hand, I have an AD1865 based DAC. I know it is 18bit only, but it still better (at least in my setup) than any other I tried. At the moment it is attached through SPDIF interface, but I want to avoid that interface and use Pavel’s circuit (pavouk.org/hw/modulardac/en_ad1865i2s.html) to feed the I2S flow to the AD1865 in a way that the L and R data is latched simultaneously into the DAC. To make this circuit working right, it needs 32bit dataflow. Regardless the resolution. I have an USB to I2S interface, that provides 32 bit always, even if the file is 16 bit. The I2S standard allow that.

I also thought about using other interface, but I ended up that some intelligence would be needed and would not use a PLD, for sure not a controller to translate. Pavel’s circuit would work fine if I can feed with 32 bit flow.

I also thinked about why none of the other I2S interface work for me. Not even the generic. Playback does not even start. From the I2S drivers, only the hifiberry seem to work for me. Is that related to the B+ hardware? Would that work on the older PI?

Thanks,
JG

JG

Will have to get back to you on the main subject.

FYI i have had success with both B and B+ using Audiophonics es9023 DAC.

Kevin

Hi, can you indicate that how the other I2S driver should work? If, for example it is the case that it works with older PI and one of the driver gives what I need, than I get an older PI. Is my assumption correct, that the other drivers would work with a normal PI, but does not work with the most recent B+ ?

Thanks,

JG