2.806 No Sound, Pi 4

Volumio Information

Volumio Version:2.806
Hardware: Pi 4
DAC: NA?

I’m running volumio on Pi into Behringer sound card into Denon receiver through Audio input. No sound. I think no DAC either, right? At any rate, I had sound yesterday, today I don’t. I’ve reflashed the micro-SD card twice and done a full reinstall. Silence. Thoughts? Suggestions? I miss my music.

did you try a reboot after install?

Yes. The only thing I haven’t done is throw the Pi into the microwave (j/k…). I’ve plugged my earpads into the Behringer but no sound. When I did the initial install and had to figure out the interface with the receiver, I was able to get output directly to the earpads. I’m running Volumio with factory settings. Not sure what else could be wrong other than a problem with the newest release, to which I upgraded before this all began.

if you use the pi only and headphone out wil give you bad sound… i use a dac (dragonfly) to go to my amp.
but in volumio you have to select your output your option should be cheapo audio jack and what you could do is to try install older versions with the sparky i had that problem with the newer versions that it didn’t want to run give that a try…

When I did my initial setup, I was able to get output to confirm something was working right before I got the receiver to work properly. But perhaps I should move back to an earlier version. I’ll have to muck around to find the download. Or, I should actually have it sitting in my download folder.

Ok. I’ll go backwards to see if the problem is on my side or if it’s the latest rev.

link to older volumio images…

1 Like

i was reading other posts and maybe found your issue with 2.806 version
changing settings I cured my problem of no sound - changed DSD Playback Mode from HDMI to DSD Direct, now volume is controllable from the UI

1 Like

DSD Playback Mode offers two options in my setup (non-I2S DAC): DSD Direct and DSD over PCM (DoP). I selected DSD Direct, the default. I then checked Output Device and switched it from HDMI Out to USB: USB Audio Codec. For whatever reason, I’m pretty sure I didn’t have sound until I installed one of the equalizers. I’m not sure because I was using Adagio for violin, strings & organ in g by Albinoni, a notorious soft piece of music for the first half of the 20ish minute long piece.

If I try to glean what’s going on, I’m running the output through a Behringer sound card connected to the Pi via USB port. I’m guessing the equalizer is just noise, given my geezer ears.

I then did the version upgrade to 2.806. Everything works the way I’ve come to expect. Thanks for your comments and attention. I truly appreciate it.

Now I have to figure out how to change language to allow WinSCP to see diacritics properly. :slight_smile:

your welcome :blush:

Hi. I’ve ran a software update to 2.806 and whereas before the update I could listen to music, now I cannot. My pre-amp says “no signal”. I’ve unplugged-replugged the optical interface, nothing happened.

Any ideas why this may be happening?

do you have one of the two EQ plugins active?

if yes, please disable them and verify if you have sound coming out. Later on you can update and enable them again

I have no plugins installed other than the “System Information”.

I also just noticed btw that my external USB drive no longer shows up under Sources…

what kind of DAC are you using? could you please enable ssh and post the log of following commands?

aplay -l

cat /boot/config.txt

Will need a bit of help on this.

I’m using the Cyrus Pre2 DAC.

I’m trying ssh volumio@192.168.1.2, with default password volumio2, which does not authenticate me.

I do not think I’ve changed the default password because I don’t know how to. Any suggestion on how to check whether I’ve changed that password?

ssh password is volumio

Commands output below (need to go, I’ll be back in 1-2 hours)

volumio@cb-volumio:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 2: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1]
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
Subdevices: 3/3
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
card 2: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi], device 0: HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0 [HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0]

volumio@cb-volumio:~$ cat /boot/config.txt

initramfs volumio.initrd

gpu_mem=32

max_usb_current=1

dtparam=audio=on

audio_pwm_mode=2

dtparam=i2c_arm=on

disable_splash=1

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

include userconfig.txt

it looks like your device is not recognized properly, you have HiFiBerry Digi+ as card2, even if it’s not declared in your /boot/config.txt

are you connecting your DAC to Raspberry Pi with USB cable?

if yes, could you please post the log of following command?

lsusb

I am connecting the DAC to Raspberry with optical cable.
But I’m connecting the Raspberry to an external HDD with music with USB (which since the sw update does not show up in Sources).

Here’s the output of lsusb:

volumio@cb-volumio:~$ lsusb

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

OK, what kind of DAC are you using on top of your Raspberry Pi, to provide optical output?

I’m using Hifiberry Digi+ Pro, connected optically to the Cyrus Pre2 DAC, which is then connected to the Stereo 200 power amp.